Search (keywords):  SOFT ARTICLES TIPS & TRICKS SECURITY
LINKS NEWS MAN DOCUMENTATION

DoS in debian (potato) proftpd

<< Previous INDEX Search src Set bookmark Go to bookmark Next >>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:14:31 +1100
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: DoS in debian (potato) proftpd

Hi guys,
	The version of proftp that is in debian potato (1.2.0pre10 as reported by running 'proftpd -v ') is vulnerable to a glob DoS attack, as discovered on the 15th March 2001. You can verify this bug by logging in to a server running debian stable's proftpd and type "ls */../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../*".  This results with 100% of the CPU and memory resources being consumed (more info at http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/critbugs.html), 

A temporary workaround for this issue is to add DenyFilter \*.*/ into your proftp configuration file. 

I notifed security@debian.org on the 12th of February (2002) about this problem and a discussion was entered into but no resolution occurred.  I contacted security@debian.org again on the 21st of FEbruary and didn't receive a reply.  After posting to vuln-dev@securityfocus.com on the 1st of March, I was told on the 7th of March that the package maintainer was working on a fix.  Now, over a year after the bug has been discovered, and over 5 weeks since I first contacted debian about it, no fix is in place in 
debian potato. Hopefully posting here will speed things up a bit.

Regards,
Joe Dollard

<< Previous INDEX Search src Set bookmark Go to bookmark Next >>

Партнёры:
PostgresPro
Inferno Solutions
Hosting by Hoster.ru
Хостинг:

Закладки на сайте
Проследить за страницей
Created 1996-2024 by Maxim Chirkov
Добавить, Поддержать, Вебмастеру